Thursday, September 1, 2016

#StrangerThings

If you haven't seen the new Netflix Original series, Stranger Things, then you really need to get out more. Stranger Things is a supernatural mystery show set in the 1980's about a young boy's disappearance and a telekinetic girl who helps with the search. I know it sounds weird, but it's easily one of the best shows I've seen. Not only is the storyline fantastic, but the acting, cinematography and music is top notch. 

 I watched Stranger Things right when it came out on Netflix, but if you're just now jumping on the bandwagon, then you've seen the hype all over the internet. The only time I have ever seen this much talk about a TV show on social media was when JoJo was on the Bachelorette. Everyday I see people posting about Stranger Things on Facebook or Twitter using #StrangerThings. This fanbase has turned to the internet into a community for those obsessing about the show. This community is sharing their favorite moments, favorite characters, favorite episodes, theories, memes, and most importantly concerns about Barb. 


I am obviously part of this community myself and enjoy getting deep into Twitter to see what people are doing. One of my favorite tweets is about a missing person flyer posted up on a telephone pole for Barb in San Francisco. Another great one is creating gifs about the telekinetic character, Eleven, stealing Eggo waffles for National Waffle Day. Now even though this is just a fictional TV show, fans are getting so wrapped up and making it a part of their lives.
   
I've already converted 3 of my friends into huge fans of the show just by the amount of content I tweet or repost. I love being able to express my love for the show while also encouraging others to check it out for themselves. Social media has dramatically impacted the widespread success of the show. 

If you're a Stranger Things fan, I have some great news. The Duffer Brothers have officially announced a season two of Stranger Things that will be released in 2017. That's right, A SEASON TWO. Get ready to be glued to your couch for about 9 hours and revisit the Upside Down. 

P.S. Shoutout to my twin Nancy for killing it out there

No comments:

Post a Comment